Saturday, September 12, 2009

Alamo and Papantla

On our way to Poza Rica we drive through the small city of Alamo. The south of our mission is huge in growing oranges. You will see very large trucks carrying oranges from city to city for the market with men sitting on the very top. This is a landmark in Alamo showing a man spilling out the oranges from his basket.
Along this road there is a huge Cristus on the top of the mountain overlooking the city.
At the same point in the road we watched a man throw a rope around a power pole and climb. This is a beautiful area in our mission.
During the lunch break at the Papantla zone conference the missionaries were fed by the Bishop who happens to have a catering business. I have never seen anything like it in Mexico. There were beautiful tables set with real dishes and glasses and a napkin in the glass. I think it took the missionaries back a little when they saw it. He served us a 4 course meal. First, soup then some kind of pasta, then a full plate of meat and steamed veges, and finally a delicious rice pudding for dessert. He is a very humble man that was honored to serve the missionaries. I hope they appreciated it. Later in the day he was back in his white shirt to be the Bishop.
Halfway through the first course, I had to remind the missonaries to take the napkin out of their glass and put it on their lap. I think many of them have never been treated like this before with such service.
When we got home I turned the water on in the shower to get it hot and this was what we found. A lizard in the shower. We don't know where he went. Maybe it's the same one that was in the kitchen a few weeks ago.

3 comments:

lise said...

Lizards, eh? We had cockroaches and some other lovely creatures in Taiwan!

Have a great day -- sure miss you guys, but you're doing an awesome job!
Love, Lise

Aimee's Family Journal said...

Hmmmm! Maybe it is safer NOT knowing where he went? Who knows what else is hiding in the same place he is??

Marissa said...

In the future...check your shoes before slipping them on...