
Dad and I drove 2 hours to Valles yesterday to encourage a struggling Elder. When we arrived at the church our front right tire blew. So I walked into the church (it was only slightly cooler in there) and this is what I found. Sisters in Valles having a HFPE activity.

Dad was out with the men figuring out the tire problem (sweating) and I was inside (still hot) learning to make tamales. I thought I should get my hands in there and the sisters enjoyed my inexperience.

They make the corn filling that is more like a paste and spread it on banana leaves that have been slightly steamed. Then you go back and spread a sauce made from chiles and one piece of meat. There is a special way to roll and fold before they are put into a huge pot to be steamed. The R.S. president was the one teaching and she is in the red checkered apron. The pot on the stove was so large and she is so small that the top of the pot came to her eye level. We probably made 50 tamales and we had to leave before they were done. But it was wonderful to be with them.

These are what your shoes look like every day when you work in Valles. Even if you polish them every morning this is what they look like by the end of the day. These shoes belong to Elder Soto and Elder Valdepena; good Elders. Dad took the struggling Elder with him in the car to fix the tire and they had a good conversation in the process.
2 comments:
I am so excited to have you teach me how to make tamales when you get back!
Rocky Point has that powdery dirt too and it's pretty crazy when a car drives down it...
I have to say again - your hair looks great. Hooray "LA LOOKS"
Nancy
We're expecting BIG (spicy) things from you when you get home in 3 years. Remember that Korean meal I made?,......P.S. Kayla got engaged tonight! We're still in Canada
Post a Comment